Today I am 36. I started a new birthday tradition in 2009, and have done it each year since. And of course I couldn’t resist doing it again in 2012.
This was a good exercise this year. I have been a bit down and frustrated with how under the weather we have been. This was a good reminder of all the blessings I have.
Some of the blessings are the same, as they always will be. But as with each year, things change and there are new blessings.
So here is this year’s list of 36 Blessings…
1. a gracious and faithful God
2. my husband who works hard everyday to provide for us
3. Grace- for her sweet spirit, her imagination, her compassion
4. Owen- for his determination, his rough and tumble boyishness, his strength
5. my parents- always supportive in any way they can be
6. my sis- I only see you every six months, but it is always as if no time has passed.
7. my in-laws (the whole lot of them)
8. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
9. that my husband, my mom and my sister are my best friends
10. that I have a small core group of friends who I can always turn to
11. that overall my children are healthy- we have had a rough two months and we are still in the thick of it (germs that is) but it’s just normal childhood stuff, nothing serious.
12. my job. I love my co-workers and my boss. I love that it is a safe and caring place and that Owen is just down the hall, at least for two more months:(
13. that I am able to be home with my kids after school, I can get Grace at the bus, when they are sick I can be home with them and I don’t feel too guilty about missing work.
14. that my only living grandparent (Dad’s Mom) just celebrated her 92nd birthday earlier this month
15. that our BELOVED Oregon Ducks went to and won the Rose Bowl. What a fun game to watch and what a fun season this has been. GO DUCKS!!
16. that we live in a safe community
17. Grace’s school- she is loving it this year and seems to be blossoming and learning a lot
18. that I have found a welcoming Bible Study group that I have been a part of in the last year.
19. that I am going to be an aunt again this summer
20. Isaiah 26:30 “You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.”
21. a couple of super nice neighbors that I have enjoyed having nearby
22. health insurance – that we have it, and it is sufficient…if we had to pay out of pocket for Owen’s asthma medicine each month it would cost us $2600…instead we pay $85…such a blessing!
23. that food is plenty for us – Proverbs 30:8 “Give me neither poverty nor riches,” he asked, “but give me only my daily bread.”
24. that we have a nice library in our town- didn’t have one in the last place we lived, libraries are cheaper than buying all your books!
25. that Grace loves to read. I love finding her new books that I think she will like and then hearing “I love this book! I knew I would love it when I read the first sentence!”
26. Mochas…yes, this will always make the list!
27. that Danny and I have been able to reduce our debt and are on the same page with our goals and have made a big dent this past year
28. the kiddos in my classes at school-we have smaller classes this year and I feel like I have bonded with a couple kids in particular and it has been fun
29. that my sister-in-law is getting married this summer to a wonderful man, and the kiddos will be flower girl/ring bearer, they will be so cute!
30. that we have two cars that run and have just been blessed with a vehicle that will make Danny’s commute much nicer
31. that Owen asked me if I was 13. When I said “no”, his next guess was 14, not 90, or 52 like one of the kids in my class
32. I have enjoyed our home in a new town that is a little ways away from HOME, but HOME is just a quick drive down the road
33. watching Owen have his first best friend
34. James 1: 2-3 (NIV) Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
35. that my little man is ok after a trip to Urgent Care and a high temperature yesterday. He likes to keep Mommy on her toes…
36. another year with my sweet family