Little man has been under the weather again.
On Friday I took him to his pediatrician for his “well-child” check-up. Unfortunately he wasn’t very well. Owen had started a cough that he had been struggling with for the last couple of days. The doctor listened to his lungs and Owen had “diminished” breath sounds in his right lung. This is also the side that his hernia was on which meant that his right lung is already compromised compared to the left. But since Owen was about one his lungs have sounded the same.
This along with the fact that he was running a 102 fever made the doctor suspect pneumonia. He prescribed an antibiotic and we headed home. Owen got worse Friday evening and had a rough night Friday night. Saturday during the day he was okay. But by Saturday night he was struggling to breathe. He was retracting in his collarbone and ribcage (when those areas pull in severely when struggling to breathe) and breathing very rapidly. For every breath of mine, he was breathing 5 or 6 times.
After talking with the on-call service we headed to the ER around 9:30 on Saturday night.
They did a chest x-ray and found that he didn’t have pneumonia. They decided to do a blood draw and give him an IV. Not his favorite thing. Luckily they brought someone down from the pediatric unit and she got him on the first try. Owen dozed while he was getting his fluids and then after a while he got pretty upset and they gave him some Tylenol with Codeine to help calm him down. It worked.
We got home around 1:00 Sunday morning.
Grace was with us the whole time and she was such a trooper.
Owen slept until 11:30 Sunday morning. His breathing seems a bit better but he is still coughing so much that it gags him.
We are headed to the asthma specialist this afternoon to get him checked-out.